The Chef

The Chef

6.06.2013

purpose

My very talented friend Dan Elliot (http://pointedmanband.com) wisely told me that all food blogs need a purpose.  I couldn't agree more.  Part of me was hoping that the purpose would become clear to readers over time, but in our busy world, inundated with food blogs and beautiful food focused instagram photos, it can be hard to wait.

So, my purpose is simple.  Without preaching or labels (vegan, GF, non-GMO, etc, etc, etc) I want people to begin to eat better and therefore feel better.  To realize that the best food; best tasting, best looking, easiest to cook with, cheapest to buy, and most interesting to play with in the kitchen, comes straight from the earth.  Not in prepackaged plastic containers, or in the freezer isle, and should never have ingredients you cannot pronounce (unless you're addicted to asian food like I am and therefore they're in another language; exception to every rule).  Food tastes better with just a little dirt from the garden.  Dirt you tilled yourself, that lodged itself under you finger nails and made you feel like part of something real.
Heirloom tomatoes from our garden

You should never have to count your fruit and vegetable servings, they are the core of what sustains your body and should be abundant in every meal. 

Life is to short to eat bad food.  I think gardening taught me this...but more on that later.

Every time I sit down to a meal and leave less than excited about what I just ate, I get sad.  Honestly.  Ask my partner, I often have orderer's remorse.  I feel as though I wasted an opportunity to experience a new flavor, ingredient or preparation.  That I wasted precious space and time in my body and life that could have been devoted to something more spectacular.  Not complicated, or expensive, or challenging to cook, just spectacular.  Sometimes, in fact most often, in it's simplicity.  Good, real, whole, natural ingredients don't need to be dressed up, they shine in their nakedness and delight with their abundance of flavor and color.  I'm excited to share with you, whoever you may be and with whatever purpose you visit my blog, the joy of cooking with real food that I've experienced over the past few years.  It's been a journey and I'm loving it.

I want you to enjoy the creative energy that cooking inspires, sit down to a lovely meal and never even realize that it's vegan or meatless or dairy free.  It tastes better despite and because of that, but never because of the label that comes attached to those choices and the stigma and preconceived notions that tag along behind them.  That being said, know that I have only respect for whole food vegans and vegetarians.  It's difficult to cut things out definitively from your life and experiences.  It's hard to set strict boundaries and say no.  I just believe that to be healthy and happy you always don't need to.  Moderation and pleasure can be friends. 

I'll try to teach you how.

And now, my favorite meal this month...(and yes, it's vegan.)

Lemongrass Tofu Banh Mi with Sweet Potato Fries

Lemongrass tofu marinade

  • 1 pkg firm tofu
  • 1/2 cup peanut or vegetable oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 5 tablespoons tamari or braggs
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
Other ingredients
  • 2 large sweet potatoes
  • siracha sauce
  • veganaise
  • 1 large cucumber
  • small bunch of cilantro
  • french rolls
  • 4 large carrots
  • 2 medium daikon radishes
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Drain tofu and slice into slices 2" wide by 1/4" thick.  Chop and smash (with the side of your knife) lemongrass and garlic.  In a large plastic freezer bag combine the rest of marinade ingredients and mix well.  Lay tofu slices on top of marinade and ensure tofu is coated.  Leave in refrigerator for 1 hour or up to a day.  Occasionally flip bag to ensure equal coating.

Meanwhile, slice 4 large carrots and 2 medium daikon radishes into bite size pieces, either with a mandolin or sharp knife.  Any shape will work that seems like it will fit nicely into a sandwich.  Mix 3 cups warm water, 3 tbsp rice vinegar, 3 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp salt together until everything is dissolved. place carrot and radish slices into a large mason jar and cover with pickling liquid.  Let sit for at least 1 hour and up to 1 week.

For sauce, combine 1/2 cup veganaise or mayonnaise with 1 tbsp siracha sauce and 1/2 tbsp sesame oil, mix.

Slice cucumber into thin slices for layering and set aside coarsely chopped cilantro.

Cut sweet potatoes into wedges, toss with salt and olive oil and bake at 450 until golden and crispy.  Mix another 1/2 cup veganaise with 1 tbsp sirarcha sauce for dipping.  

Remove tofu from marinade, sauté on high until golden and crispy on all sides.  Briefly toast french rolls at 350 until slightly firm.  Coat french roll with sauce, layer tofu, pickled vegetables, cucumber, and cilantro and enjoy!

1 comment: