The Chef

The Chef

5.27.2013

the x factor

I discovered cooking through love.

I know, it sounds trite, but its the honest truth.  I always cooked, enjoyed following recipes and spending time in the kitchen, but it wasn't until I found a love that also loved cooking that I truly learned how to cook.

I once learned Portuguese for someone I loved and the ease with which fluency and proficiency came was astonishing.  I practically failed high school Spanish, so no, its not a gift for languages that got me through.  Love opens something up inside you, gives you abilities not previously possessed.  If you've felt it, you know, if not, just wait.  I envy your ignorance.  The journey will be the time of your life.

But cooking.  I digress.  The Flavor Bible talks about "The X Factor," defined as "what is perceived by the other senses (besides taste), plus the heart, mind, and spirit."  I believe it is this factor that takes recipes from basic to gourmet.  From food to experience.  The X Factor...I think it's real.

Let's start with kale.


I suppose it would be crazy to call kale my favorite food, with things like gnocchi and bahn mi and heirloom tomatoes out there. But as a basic, everyday ingredient it's pretty amazing.  Forget boxed baby lettuce, easy to use but slimy from a life in plastic containers, tannic spinach (more on tannins later) and even arugula (although there is a soft spot in my heart for arugula and a definite time and place for this magic green).  Kale is touted as a super food, versatile in cooking applications and infinitely delicious - sautéed, baked, blended and raw.  Yes, raw.  And it's easy to grow.  Throw rain at it, heat, mild frost, drought, it will surprise you and thrive.  It'll make you feel like a real gardner and that alone makes kale awesome.

Let alone all the things you can do with it in the kitchen...here's an easy one, just to get us both started.  This whole food blog thing is intimidating.

Baked Kale Chips
  • 1 bunch raw kale (curly, lacinto, red)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon braggs liquid amino (or soy sauce)
  • sprinkle of red chili flakes (optional)
Chop kale into 3" pieces, including stem.  Toss with remaining ingredients and bake at 400 F until crispy and brown.  Serves 4-6 as an appetizer or 1 as a delicious snack!

3 comments:

  1. Love it Trace! I just feel goooood reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a beautiful writer Fav - what a wonderful read!!! You've inspired me as well, kale chips coming up! Also, at some point you'll have to read 'Bringing up Bebe' - the French have a very similar outlook to the X-Factor and they teach it to their children almost from birth. You will clearly be an excellent baby-sitter for our wee ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully written my dear! It is so hard to capture what passion is and why you love something, but I think you kind of did it here! Once you get enough posts, I'm only going to eat things made from the blog, get crakin'!
    J

    ReplyDelete